- Op Art – Op Art was a modern art movement influencing major trends, such as Bauhaus and the De Stijl movement, but hit iconoclastic status in the mid-century. It focuses on illusion or optical tricks. When viewed, the impression is given of movement, hidden images, flashing, vibrating, swelling or warping. Op Art is a random multi-tile repeat.
Each grouping explores variety and qualities of graphic lines, while capturing the essence of its related media through minuscule and rich detail. Patterns are large repeats in varying scales with optional accessory patterns that showcase the canvas edge of the art. All are intended as monolithic installations.
- The tip-sheared 27-ounce construction is created through multiple yarn infusion (MYI®) that creates dense performing constructions with multiple ends of yarn through a single needle.
- Fibers with various lusters and a randomized tip shear give the construction a rich and handmade aesthetic.
- Art Media is offered in 1Mx1M modular tiles
The modularity and ability to randomize on a large scale is as integral to the art as the details of the technique and media. Continuous lines in large repeats create grand installation experiences.
Advanced print technology
The majority of the patterns employ Milliken’s unique approach to large-scale pattern, allowing for precise tile edge-to-edge pattern match, while the tile centers vary. In addition to this being innovative, as it is unique to advanced print technology, the benefits are abundant.
- Offers the capability to create much larger scale and repeat in pattern
- Is easy to install due to the ability to lay any tile next to one another
- Allows for infinite installation scenarios, making each application a truly original work of art
- Milliken’s proprietary digital print technology uses less chemicals and water and yields less waste compared to other available technologies.
- All products are NSF 140 certified and third-party certified carbon neutral.
- Art Media contains 25% recycled content.
Additionally, Art Media is PVC-free and manufactured by Milliken, a carbon negative carpet company that meets aggressive goals, including zero waste, carbon negative and green energy initiatives. The collection contributes to LEED and other green building certifications.
According to Barbara Haaksma, vice president of design and marketing for Milliken’s global floor covering division, each technique responds to the canvas in a different manner - simplified forms of abstraction, fluid continuous lines, as well as the absence of defined positive or negative space.
“Through the Art Media collection, we treat the floor plane as a giant canvas where installation size has no limitation, allowing designers to view 'space' in new and different manners,” said Haaskma. “By combining both science and design, our clients are free to think and feel differently about the role flooring can play in commercial interiors.”
About Milliken’s global floor covering division – Milliken has a rich history of delivering innovative carpet and soft surface flooring from its award-winning global design studios, research center and manufacturing facilities. Milliken’s unexpected and purposeful flooring products offer great design solutions built from unique insights and an exceptional array of technical capabilities. Visit us at any of our product showrooms around the world and see what inspires our community of innovators. Or, learn more about Milliken floor covering at www.millikencarpet.com, on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MillikenCarpet, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MillikenCarpet and on Pinterest at www.pinterest.com/millikencarpet.
About Milliken – Milliken is an innovation company that has been exploring, discovering, and creating ways to enhance people’s lives since 1865. Our community of innovators has developed one of the larger collections of United States patents held by a private U.S. company. With expertise across a breadth of disciplines including specialty chemical, floor covering, and performance materials, we work around the world every day to add true value to people’s lives, improve health and safety, and make this world more sustainable. For more information, visit www.milliken.com.