By now you've probably heard, read or seen an example of 3-D printing. This technology spans many different applications and industries - and has definitely been addressed in the interior design marketplace.
- What 3-D printing is
- The benchmarks in future applications
- Its impact on future design
Some noteworthy takeaways from the article include:
- 3-D printing is a computer-controlled, digital fabrication process in which thin layers of material are built-up by a machine to create a three-dimensional object, using a variety of materials including plastic, ceramic, metal, and glass
- 3-D printing technology can serve as a resource for creating quick design prototypes - or finished products (in the form of furniture, lighting and sculpture)
- 3-D printing provides the opportunity to introduce products to market within a matter of weeks, allowing designers and engineers to stay current with ever-evolving trends
Could this technology bring us to the forefront of a new Industrial Revolution? Only time will tell. We'd love to hear your thoughts on the topic and how 3-D printing has inspired you in your everyday activities.