"Our long-standing commitment to 'doing good' has always been a fundamental part of who we are."
- Joe Salley, Milliken President and CEO
In honor of Earth Day 2014, we would like to celebrate the history of work our associates have accomplished in moving sustainability forward in carpet textile manufacturing and 'doing good' for the world. With more than 100 years of environmental stewardship, these are a few of many innovations in sustainable products and practices that we are proud to call our own.
- 1900: Milliken publishes the company's first recycling policy.
- 1912: Milliken makes the company's first investment in renewable energy.
- 1960: Roger Milliken formally mandates that Milliken makes responsible use of natural resources.
- 1962: Milliken opens wastewater treatment plants, before EPA exists.
- 1986: Milliken develops the world's first PVC-free carpet tile.
- 1990: Milliken publishes a formal Global Environmental Policy.
- 1992: Milliken achieves zero waste to landfill from U.S. manufacturing facilities.
- 1993: Milliken becomes a founding member of the U.S. Green Building Council.
- 1996: Milliken becomes first U.S. carpet manufacturer to be ISO 9000 certified.
- 1998: The Milliken family of companies becomes the first carpet and textile manufacturer to be certified carbon negative.
- 2002: Milliken implements the Design for Environment process for all commercial carpet products.
- 2012: Milliken introduces a landfill diversion program - a simple means for customers to divert old carpet from landfills.
- 2013: Milliken provides Environmental Product Declarations for standard commercial carpet tiles.
- 2014: Milliken named to the Ethisphere Institute's list of World's Most Ethical Companies for the eighth consecutive year.
We're continuing to drive sustainability forward in the architecture and design industry. For an in-depth look at our history of sustainable practices, view our company milestones on Facebook, or read a summary of our sustainability initiatives.